CESQG Program Guidelines


Commercial Hazardous Waste 

Who can participate?

Businesses or organizations located within Ada County that are considered a conditionally exempt small quantity generator (CESQG) under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and/or generate wastes regulated under the Universal Waste Rule (e.g. fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs).

Under RCRA, CESQG must meet three conditions:

  • Produces less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste each month
  • Produces less than 2.2 pounds of acutely hazardous waste [as defined in 40CFR261.31, 261.32, 261.33(e)] each month
  • Stores no more than 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste on site.

How do I calculate how much hazardous waste my business produces?

To determine generator status, you must do the following:

  • look at all waste streams generated at your facility
  • determine which waste streams are hazardous
  • estimate the quantity of hazardous waste generated and stored each month. (Use the standard of one gallon equals eight pounds to estimate total pounds.)

If your business includes more than one location, calculate quantities from each location separately. If the total amount of wastes generated at your facility is less than 220 pounds per month AND you also meet the other criteria, your business is eligible to register for the program.

Contact the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality at (208) 373-0502 or call the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility at (208) 577-4736 for more information.


What if my business is not conditionally exempt?

If, according to your calculations, your business is not conditionally exempt, contact the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality  at (208) 373-0502 for more information.


What wastes can I register?

All wastes that fall under RCRA and the Universal Waste Rule (including fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs, and other mercury-containing devices). Electronics accepted include televisions, computers (monitor, keyboard, mouse, and CPUs), printers, fax machines, and scanners. Dental office wastes such as  x-ray fixer solution and lead foils are accepted. Cell phones are also accepted.

Explosive, radioactive, biomedical wastes, and tires ARE NOT accepted.


What does it cost?

Cost depends on the type of waste that is generated and is charged by the pound. Fluorescent lights are charged by the foot for straight bulbs. Any special shaped fluorescent bulb (e.g. round, U-shaped) and compact fluorescent bulbs are charged a flat per item fee. Businesses are charged disposal costs only. There is no fee for electronics.


How do I register?

Once your business is verified as a CESQG, call Ada County at (208) 577-4736 and get an application, certification, and inventory report form.


Where do I take the wastes?

Business waste is accepted each Friday at the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility located at Ada County Landfill. Business wastes are accepted on an appointment only basis. Each business is responsible for the safe transport of their wastes to the facility. Business wastes are NOT accepted at Boise City, Eagle, Kuna, or Meridian mobile collection sites.

Enter Commercial Enter Residential

Brought to you by the City of Boise