Introducing Curbside Compost Collection
Boise is a city that values lasting environments, innovation and resourcefulness. The way we manage our resources is a crucial part of the city’s future, and as Boise’s population grows, so does the amount of waste generated. Did you know that over 45% of all waste that Boise households send to the landfill is compostable?
Curbside compost collection is coming this summer. This exciting new service will reduce waste, extend landfill life and give the City of Boise more control over long-term resource management costs.
With compost collection, Boise residents will turn material bound for the landfill into a valuable and reusable product. Rather than being buried forever, compostable material is given new life that residents can use at their own home. From setting out the new cart on your curb, to receiving finished compost at no cost that you can use on your lawn, trees or flower pots, the entire cycle is completed here, locally.
Here's what you need to know:
The default size for your new compost cart will be the same size as your current trash cart. If this suits your needs, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED. If, however, you would like a different size compost cart, would like to purchase a kitchen pail, or make a change to your existing trash and recycling carts, please remember to place your order in March.
March 1 - March 31 - Cart Ordering Period
- Order online or by phone
- Review your default cart size and select a different size compost cart if necessary
- Reduce the number of current trash carts
- Change the size of trash/recycling carts
- Opt-out of the composting program/receive a home composting waiver
- Purchase a kitchen collection pail
June 1 - July 31 - Cart Delivery Period
- Based on your selections during the cart ordering period, carts will be delivered and/or picked up.
- Once your compost cart has been delivered, start composting! Set your compost cart out on your regular trash collection day for pick-up.
- Unlimited weekly collection of grass, leaves, branches, yard trimmings, fruits, vegetables, and more
- Finished compost available free for participating customers
- Makes it easy for you to reduce waste in your home and community
- Extend landfill life by reusing compostable material
- Available Cart Sizes: 48, 65, 95-gallon grey cart with green lid
- Collection Schedule: The compost cart will be collected weekly, the same day as your trash cart.
- Finished Product: Finished compost will be available free of charge to participating customers. The remaining compost will be used at city-owned facilities (e.g. parks, golf courses) and sold to wholesale companies with resulting revenue being rolled back into the program.
- Monthly Rate Increase: Most customers will see an increase of about $3.40 in their monthly trash pickup rates, depending on the level of service they choose
- Home Composter Waiver: A waiver will be available to home composters who agree to compost all applicable materials from their property. Eligible customers who agree to the waiver conditions will receive the $5 monthly participation rebate. Customers with a waiver however, will not receive a compost cart or any of the program benefits, such as curbside leaf collection.
For more information, read our FAQs.