Accepted Materials


Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

The following list of materials can be brought to a Boise City mobile collection site. However, space is limited and we cannot accept large quantities of items. 

We can take up to 25 items or small loads that will easily fit into the cargo area of a small SUV or trunk of a car. Larger quantities or pickup truck-sized loads of household hazardous waste must be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility at the Ada County Hidden Hollow Sanitary Landfill.

Note: Do NOT leave items at a site when a collection vehicle is not present. Leaving toxic chemicals unattended creates hazardous conditions and is a violation of Boise City Code 8-10-4.01 and 8-10-5.08.

Accepted Materials

Automotive Products

  • Used motor oil (also part of curbside collection program; oil is collected weekly
  • Antifreeze
  • Old gasoline (max. 5 gallons)


All types (except alkaline, which aren't hazardous; please dispose of those in your trash.)

Gas Cylinders/Tanks

Household Products

  • Aerosols
  • Cleaners - all types
  • Used fryer oil (max 5 gallons; must be free of food particles and in a spill-proof container. The container won't be returned)

Mercury-containing Products

  • Fluorescent light tubes and compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Mercury thermostats
  • Button cell batteries, alkaline batteries more than 10 years old
  • Antiques (barometers, clocks, mirrors, antique necklaces from Mexico)
Paints and Stains (max. 10 gallons)
  • Latex and oi-based stains
  • Solvents
  • Paint thinners
  • Wood stains

Televisions/Computers/Electronics/Small Appliances
Yard and Garden
  • Pesticides
  • Insecticides
  • Garden chemicals
  • Pool/spa chemicals

"Mystery" or unknown wastes - if you don't know what it is, we will still take it.

Mobile Program Does Not Accept

If you would like assistance, in finding the appropriate agency or management firm that will help with proper handling of these materials, please contact the Boise Public Works Department, Environmental Division at (208) 608-7136.

Enter Commercial Enter Residential

Brought to you by the City of Boise