There is a decal inside the lid of your recycling cart, which
contains information on what can and can't be recycled (this
information is also listed below). Recycling collection will occur
on your trash day every other week. If you have a purple decal
under your lid, you recycle on purple colored weeks. If you have an
orange decal, you recycle on orange colored weeks. View the calendar to see the
recycling collection schedule.
Items accepted: (no sorting)
- Aluminum & steel (tin): Rinsed soda cans, soup cans, pie
aluminum foil, uncoated metal hangers, and empty aerosol
cans. Labels may remain on cans.
- Corrugated cardboard: Flatten or cut boxes so they fit
completely inside the recycling cart.
- Paper: Newspapers, shredded paper (put in apapersack and
scrunch the top down), magazines, catalogs, junk mail, white or
pastel paper, paper bags, envelopes, brochures, greeting cards and
wrapping paper without foil, construction paper, and phone
- Plastics: Household plastic containers with a number of 1-7 on
the bottom (maximum size: three gallons). Labels may remain on
containers. Smash or flatten plastics. Lids may be recycled.
Items accepted outside your cart:
- Used motor oil
- Recycle up to two gallons per household per
- DO NOT mix oil with other fluids like gasoline
- Use a non-returnable, transparent plastic
- Set containers next to (not inside) your
- Label container "Used Motor Oil"
Items not accepted:
- Glass is not accepted!
- Styrofoam is not
- Disposable diapers
- Empty hazardous waste and pesticide containers (See Hazardous Waste)
- Foil-lined items like cookie and chip bags
- Food boxes or containers that have excessive food residue
- Hardbound books (Donate, if possible)
- Milk or juice cartons (waxed or with foil lining)
- Packing peanuts or bubble wrap
- Paper plates, cups, towels, napkins, tissues, diapers or toilet
- Plastic grocery bags, garbage bags, plastic wrap or film
- Plastic utensils
- Plastics labeled "PLA"
- Yard waste (Please compost or throw in trash cart)
- Televisions and Monitors
Large Items (Furniture and Appliances)
Allied Waste Services provides collection of large items such as
air conditioners, dishwashers, stoves and water heaters. After
collection, these items will have Freon safely removed (if present)
and appliances will be recycled. Call Allied Waste Services at
345-1266 to schedule pick up. Please visit the Large Item section
for more information.
Leaves, Branches and Trees
Boise City and Allied Waste Services provide annual leaf
collection during Recycle the Fall in November and Christmas tree
collection after the holidays. View the yard waste section for more information.
Christmas Tree Recycling
You can recycle your Christmas tree during the first two weeks
after Christmas. Christmas trees set out for collection must be
free of lights, ornaments, tinsel, and stand. They must be cut to 4
foot lengths or smaller. Flocked trees and wreaths are not
accepted. View the yard waste section for more information.