There is a decal inside the lid of your recycling cart, which contains information on what can and can't be recycled (this information is also listed below). Recycling collection will occur on your trash day every other week. If you have a purple decal under your lid, you recycle on purple colored weeks. If you have an orange decal, you recycle on orange colored weeks. View the calendar to see the recycling collection schedule.
Items accepted: (no sorting)
- Aluminum & steel (tin): Rinsed soda cans, soup cans, pie pans,
aluminum foil, uncoated metal hangers, and empty aerosol cans. Labels may remain on cans.
- Corrugated cardboard: Flatten or cut boxes so they fit completely inside the recycling cart.
- Paper: Newspapers, shredded paper (put in apapersack and scrunch the top down), magazines, catalogs, junk mail, white or pastel paper, paper bags, envelopes, brochures, greeting cards and wrapping paper without foil, construction paper, and phone books.
- Plastics: Household plastic containers with a number of 1-7 on the bottom (maximum size: three gallons). Labels may remain on containers. Smash or flatten plastics. Lids may be recycled.
Items accepted outside your cart:
- Used motor oil
Note: Many local automotive retailers will take back used oil.
- Recycle up to two gallons per household per week
- DO NOT mix oil with other fluids like gasoline or antifreeze
- Use a non-returnable, transparent plastic container
- Set containers next to (not inside) your carts
- Label container "Used Motor Oil"
Items not accepted:
- Glass is not accepted! (See Glass Recycling)
- Styrofoam is not accepted!
- Disposable diapers
- Empty hazardous waste and pesticide containers (See Hazardous Waste)
- Foil-lined items like cookie and chip bags
- Food boxes or containers that have excessive food residue
- Hardbound books (Donate, if possible)
- Milk or juice cartons (waxed or with foil lining)
- Packing peanuts or bubble wrap
- Paper plates, cups, towels, napkins, tissues, diapers or toilet paper
- Plastic grocery bags, garbage bags, plastic wrap or film (Take to grocery/retail stores that collect bags)
- Plastic utensils
- Plastics labeled "PLA"
- Yard waste (Please compost or throw in trash cart)
- Televisions and Monitors
Large Items (Furniture and Appliances)
Allied Waste Services provides collection of large items such as air conditioners, dishwashers, stoves and water heaters. After collection, these items will have Freon safely removed (if present) and appliances will be recycled. Call Republic Services at (208) 345-1266 to schedule pick up. Please visit the Large Item section for more information.
Leaves, Branches and Trees
Boise City and Allied Waste Services provide annual leaf collection during Recycle the Fall in November and Christmas tree collection after the holidays. View the yard waste section for more information.
Christmas Tree Recycling
You can recycle your Christmas tree during the first two weeks after Christmas. Christmas trees set out for collection must be free of lights, ornaments, tinsel, and stand. They must be cut to 4 foot lengths or smaller. Flocked trees and wreaths are not accepted. View the yard waste section for more information.