Boise has been composting since June 2017, and the program has been an overwhelming success. Since the launch, we have collected over 40,000 tons of compostable material! Completed compost is available at our pick-up site at the Idaho Botanical Garden. Residents can pick-up one cubic yard for free.
A few reminders about collection…..
- Curbside compost collection is weekly and unlimited. Place any overflow compost in paper bags next to your cart
- No plastic please! Put your compost in paper bags or loose in the cart
- Double check your yard waste for dog toys, such as balls and frisbees
- Just because something says 'compostable' does not mean it can go in your compost cart. Compostable bags and trays are made to break down in a landfill and cannot be processed at our facility. For a full list of accepted materials, check out our Accepted Materials page.
Keeping Your Cart Clean
Using Your Compost Cart
A few simple steps will keep your new compost cart clean and reduce potential odors.
- Set out cart every week (even when it's not full). Regular collection will make sure material doesn't sit in your cart too long.
- Line your cart with newspaper or a piece of cardboard to keep material from sticking to the bottom of your cart.
- Store cart in cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- Place kitchen scraps in layers between grass, leaves or other garden material.
- Use paper bags (not plastic) to keep kitchen scraps contained.
- If your cart needs to be cleaned, rinse out your cart with a hose and dump rinse water out on your lawn (not in a storm drain).
- Compost collection is unlimited. Simply fill your cart first, then place any extra materials in paper leaf bags and set out next to your cart for collection.
- Finished compost is available free to participating residents. | CHECK AVAILABILITY
- Only compost program participants receive year-round leaf collection.
- By participating in the compost program, customers receive the lowest rate.
- Compost cart is conveniently serviced the same day as your trash.
What Can I Compost?
Yard and garden waste, grass kitchen scraps and much more can be composted.
Get a complete listing by visiting the Accepted Materials page.