Now is the perfect time to compost leaves
As the temperatures drop, so do the leaves. Leaves accumulate quickly as colder weather sets in, so start collecting leaves as soon as they begin to fall. Leaves are collected each week, so customers don't need to wait to fill leaf bags and set them out on the curb for pick up. Simply fill your compost cart first, place extra leaves in paper leaf bags (up to 10 per week) and set out on the curb on your scheduled collection day.
Leaf Collection Process
To ensure leaves are collected efficiently during heavy leaf volume times, drivers will observe the following weekly collection schedule.
- Compost cart and up to 3 paper leaf bags - collected with cart on your scheduled collection day
- Compost cart and 4 – 10 paper leaf bags - generally collected within a day of set out
- Compost cart and more than 10 bags - It may take several weeks to pick up depending on the number of bags set out. 10 bags per week will be collected.
Weekly compost collection provides participating customers with year-round leaf collection, not just in the fall. Not a compost customer? Sign-up to take advantage of the easy and convenient way to collect leaves, food and yard waste.
Keeping Your Cart Clean
Using Your Compost Cart
A few simple steps will keep your new compost cart clean and reduce potential odors.
- Set out cart every week (even when it's not full). Regular collection will make sure material doesn't sit in your cart too long.
- Line your cart with newspaper or a piece of cardboard to keep material from sticking to the bottom of your cart.
- Store cart in cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- Place kitchen scraps in layers between grass, leaves or other garden material.
- Use paper bags (not plastic) to keep kitchen scraps contained.
- If your cart needs to be cleaned, rinse out your cart with a hose and dump rinse water out on your lawn (not in a storm drain).
- Compost collection is unlimited. Simply fill your cart first, then place any extra materials in paper leaf bags and set out next to your cart for collection.
- Finished compost is available free to participating residents. | CHECK AVAILABILITY
- Only compost program participants receive year-round leaf collection.
- By participating in the compost program, customers receive the lowest rate.
- Compost cart is conveniently serviced the same day as your trash.
What Can I Compost?
Yard and garden waste, grass kitchen scraps and much more can be composted.
Get a complete listing by visiting the Accepted Materials page.