Important Recycling Changes
Here's what to expect:
- Residential recycling customers will see a supply of Hefty® EnergyBag™ orange bags at their door in a few weeks. Residents can start using the bags as soon as they are delivered.
- Information and a reference guide will be sent in the mail and will be included with the supply of bags.
- Very limited plastics will be allowed in the blue recycle cart.
- All plastic water bottles or plastic hinged-lid/clamshell containers must go into the trash cart.
Fewer plastics can go in your blue recycle cart
Recent changes in global recycling markets required the City of Boise to change what materials will be accepted in the blue recycle cart. Soon, Boise residential recycling customers will see a supply of orange bags delivered to their door to collect hard-to-recycle plastics that are not accepted in the blue recycle cart. These plastics are collected as part of the Hefty® EnergyBag™Program and are put into an approved orange bag, then placed into your recycle cart to be pulled out and taken to a facility in Salt Lake City where the plastics are converted into fuel.
Plastic water bottles and clamshell containers are now trash
In addition, plastic water bottles and plastic hinged-lid (clamshell) containers must now go into the trash cart. The local sorting facility doesn't have the equipment to process these items properly. Water bottles and clamshell containers flatten in the sorting process and end up in the paper stream lowering the quality of recycled paper and making it harder to sell.
We're Here to Help
We know these changes can be confusing to customers. Learn more and get your questions answered:
Collection is delayed by one day for the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
If the holiday is observed on a weekend, no changes will occur with the collection schedule.
COLLECTION DAY SCHEDULE
Recycling is collected every other week on your designated trash day. To determine your collection day, visit Republic Service's collection day map.
- Recycling collection is unlimited. Fill your recycling cart, then fill a sturdy container (such as a cardboard box) with recyclables, label it "Recycling" and place near your blue cart.
- Set carts out by 7:00 a.m., remove from street within 24 hours.
- Place wheeled cart against the curb or along the alley with the handle pointing towards your residence; do not block the sidewalk with carts.
- Keep carts at least three feet away from other carts, mailboxes, fire hydrants, low hanging trees or shrubs, parked cars or utility poles so trucks can easily access the cart.
- Do not place hazardous waste in your trash or recycling cart. See Household Hazardous Waste for more information.